Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Monochromatic Sympathy card

I really hate making sympathy cards.  I never am sure if something seems too perky or if it is just right.  I wanted it to be somewhat flat for shipping but still have a bit of layers to it.  I also planned on using a butterfly, but mine was too whimsical to look nice.  Even my cricut ones look cartoon-ish or happy for such a card.  I dove into my less-often used Cuttlebug dies and found a crown (it's actually a Disney one, but I don't think it's too obvious).  I tried to cut it from several different patterned papers, but ended up going with black.  

So, the card is a stock Michael's base white that comes with evelopes.  I cut black cardstock, then used the Nestabilities Labels One to cut out the center.  I marked the white base where the opening was, then used Artful Inkables Fictionally Yours swirls stamp in Dove Grey Staz-On.  I set that aside and used the same stamp in Whisper White craft ink on the black.  I also stamped the sentiment from one of SU's 25th Anniversary sets, embossing with white powder.  Attach that to the base.  Next, I cut the crowns from the middles of the Labels One die, then ran through the Cuttlebug again in the matching embossing folder, before I sprayed with Heidi Swapp's Tinsel and Smooch in Silver Foil.  (Heidi's spray has a bit of a blue tint and the smooch is darker and mutes the blue.)  I used a heat gun to set.  I added it to the base before adding three different sizes of faux pearls.  (The big one at the top covers up a heart in the embossing.)  Thanks for looking!  April
close up of crown

No comments: